Sunday, February 10, 2008

A walk on the wild side

Today I walked in the woods and by the lake, with a strong wind and bright sunshine making it glorious. My ears were filled with the sounds of wind, the trees banging together, water slapping the shoreline, leaves tumbling through the underbrush, and a fishing pier creaking. Everywhere I looked was a tribute to earth's Creator. Perfect blue sky with scattered white clouds. Sunlight on the water. Sparkling wind whipped waves. Shadows of every shape and size. Trees-- stark and beautiful and bare.

And I thought about this season of barrenness. I saw lots of decay--fallen trees in various stages of decomposition, fungi, insects, water rotting leaves and branches. But it was beautiful. And life giving. And necessary. Lent is a good season.

More photos from my walk are here: Latta Walk




2 comments:

SUSAN said...

Gorgeous! both the photos and your insights!

Susan

MaryD said...

Laura, the pictures are wonderful but I LOVE your description!